Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Taking a Step in the Dark

Two weeks before November started Spencer called me on the phone and told me that he had written his two weeks notice.  We knew that it was getting close to time for him to leave the credit union, where he has worked since before our marriage, due to some revelation and heartfelt prayers a couple weeks before.  Neither of us were aware, however, that the time was coming quite so quickly.  I, of course, asked him why he had written his two weeks notice, and he responded that he had had a very strong prompting that it was what the Lord wanted him to do.  I said a quick prayer in my heart and responded "Well, I guess you'd better turn it in then."  That day he turned in his two weeks notice, not having filled out a single application and having nothing lined up for when his job ended on November first.  Together we took a step in the dark, trusting that the Lord would take care of our family.  I have always heard that sometimes we need to take a step in the dark, but I never imagined having such a literal experience with this principle.  We left behind the security of a steady income and some amazing insurance, and stepped towards the unknown.  The strangest thing is we both felt entirely safe in doing so, for the Lord had promised that He was with us.  It has been a truly humbling and eye opening experience.  After a couple of days my faith began to waver, but every time I have sought the Lord, He has comforted me, telling me to "be still, and know that [He] is God."  I cannot speak for Spencer, as I am not Spencer, but I know that this is helping me grow closer to the Lord and my Savior, and I believe that he is having a similar experience.  I sometimes feel like Peter, jumping off the safety of my boat and onto the water to walk towards my Savior.  Sometimes I feel confident and faithful and my feet never falter across the waves, but when I allow myself to look around at the stormy sea I begin to sink.  It is then when I call out to my Savior to rescue me, and every time He has come and spoken peace to my soul and placed me back on my feet.  As I keep my eyes upon him I am able to move forward towards whatever awaits beyond the restless sea of unemployment. Spencer is now in the process of job hunting, and it is a stormy tempestuous sea if ever there was one.  I do not know what God has in store for our family, but I do know that He is mindful of our situation, that He loves us, and that He has a plan for us.  It is comforting to know that the Lord of the whole Universe is mindful of us.  I sincerely hope that our journey through this mysterious dark tunnel is a short one, but if not, I know that everything will work out for our good, and that the Lord will be with us each step we take in the dark.  

No comments:

Post a Comment